• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Well gang, I am back at it. Here is my next restoration project, an Ellis 1100 bandsaw. Here are the pictures of what I am starting with. This is going to be my up grade from my little 4 x 6 bandsaw. I figured I was at the point of doing the standard mods to it when this miter saw showed up on Craig's List. I couldn't refuse. So the plan is to restore and modify as I go. I hope you enjoy the project.

Ellis Saw 1.JPG Ellis Saw 2.JPG Ellis Saw 3.JPG Ellis Saw 4.JPG Ellis Saw 5.JPG Ellis Saw 6.JPG Ellis Saw 7.JPG Ellis Saw 8.JPG Ellis Saw 9.JPG Ellis Saw 10.JPG Ellis Saw 11.JPG Ellis Saw 12.JPG

RandyM

Staff member
That is one nice looking band saw, I have never seen like it.
They are very popular in the fabrication (welding) shops. Next up I will show the teardown.

burtonbr

Active User
That bandsaw looks to be in great shape, not much restoration needed, we have the same model in my buddies muffler shop, missing many parts and poorly repaired, it usable but after pricing all the replacement parts I've decided it not worth restoring.
Nice thing about the Ellis saws are all the parts are available and they were very helpful on the phone.
Great looking saw there RandyM

RandyM

Staff member
That bandsaw looks to be in great shape, not much restoration needed, we have the same model in my buddies muffler shop, missing many parts and poorly repaired, it usable but after pricing all the replacement parts I've decided it not worth restoring.
Nice thing about the Ellis saws are all the parts are available and they were very helpful on the phone.
Great looking saw there RandyM
Burton, you are correct, the machine is in very good shape. Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts. Well, needless to say, someone did use coolant and every bearing on the machine needs replacement. If I recall correctly, this machine is a 1989 vintage and has seen its fair share of use. I am one to NOT to do a half a job. I do not want to ever mess with it again for maintenance once I am done and I like my stuff looking good. Once done, it will work flawlessly for the rest of my life. Hang with me on this one, I will change your mind on it needing a resto.

You are also correct, the parts I bought for it were almost half of a new machine. So you want to make sure you start out with a good one. Mine will be BETTER than new when I finish. Wait til you see the up grades, you do not know what over kill is (as I have already been accused of here :bitingnails:) until the finished result. Stay tuned.

RandyM

Staff member
I decided to do the project in two seperate sections, the base and the cutting head. I started with the base, this allows me to bolt things together as they are finished. So, with that being said, here are some teardown shots of the base.

Disassembly - Base 1.JPG Disassembly - Base 2.JPG Disassembly - Base 3.JPG Disassembly 1.JPG Disassembly 2.JPG Saw Base Parts - 1.JPG Saw Base Parts - 2.JPG

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
That's a great saw Randy! I'm sure you'll make this thing into a killer saw. Did it come new with that roll-away base? That is so cool, I've never seen one quite like it.

Marcel

RandyM

Staff member
What did you do for prep before painting as far as removing the old paint and preparing the surface?
I decided not to do a complete stripping of the old paint. What I did was a very thorough light sanding and degreasing.

Last edited:

RandyM

Staff member
As I already mentioned, all the bearings are getting replaced. This even includes the wheels. The rubber portion of the wheels are in very good shape, just a little solvent and good as new. Next a little paint for the hubs and some new bearings. Here is the clean up of the wheels.

Wheels & Old Bearings.JPG Wheels Painted.JPG Wheel & New Bearing.JPG

RandyM

Staff member
I always do more than a freshen-up things, I like to improve things to make them work better or faster. See if you can find all of the improvements I made to this as things unfold here. Good Luck!

Here is more of the trunion assembly.

Miter Bearing Assiembly - 1.JPG Base Assembly - 3.JPG

RandyM

Staff member
Here is the new and improved chip tray handle and the new bearings for the transport handle along with the reconditioned vise.

Chip Tray Handle.JPG Handle Bearings.JPG Vice.JPG

samthedog

Active User
Nice work Randy. If you are anything like me this will never be sold while your lungs have breath. After spending quality time with a machine I hate to part with it.

Paul.

RandyM

Staff member
Nice work Randy. If you are anything like me this will never be sold while your lungs have breath. After spending quality time with a machine I hate to part with it.

Paul.
Thank you Paul. You are correct this one is a keeper. It is going to replace my little Enco, which was to the point of preforming the customary modifications. Fortunately this one came along in time before I put the time into it. Once I get done with this one it will be as good as new. I am hoping it will then just require minimal maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape.

PurpLev

Active User
that is a beauty!
nice work on it. I like that vise. I have a similar drillpress quick-vise that I'm still trying to figure out how to make work on the 4x6 bandsaw (the saw is tilted and not fully vertical like this one so it won't clear the vise. It's nice to see this one completely vertical to overcome this limitation

RandyM

Staff member
that is a beauty!
nice work on it. I like that vise. I have a similar drillpress quick-vise that I'm still trying to figure out how to make work on the 4x6 bandsaw (the saw is tilted and not fully vertical like this one so it won't clear the vise. It's nice to see this one completely vertical to overcome this limitation
Sounds like quite the challenge, Sharon. The thing with my head sitting up vertical is that it does put more twist in to the blade.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the angle plate all freshened up.

Head Assembly - 09.JPG

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wow, that looks awesome Randy & it's coming along very nice! I'm definitely going to follow this one & can't wait to see it all finished. Thanks for sharing, I love these type of threads. Really makes me want to upgrade from my little Enco 4x6 too which has been on my mind.

Will

RandyM

Staff member
Wow, that looks awesome Randy & it's coming along very nice! I'm definitely going to follow this one & can't wait to see it all finished. Thanks for sharing, I love these type of threads. Really makes me want to upgrade from my little Enco 4x6 too which has been on my mind.

Will
Will, are you watching Craig's List? They don't show up very often and when they do, they are usually the bigger models. I was really lucky finding a 1100 it is just the right size for me.

RandyM

Staff member
TearDown

While tearing down the cutting head I had to make a gear pulling tool to get the drive wheel off of the gear box. It wasn't coming off with out it.

Head Teardown - 18.JPG Head Teardown - 02.JPG Head Teardown - 16.JPG

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
[QoTE=RandyM;179544]Will, are you watching Craig's List? They don't show up very often and when they do, they are usually the bigger models. I was really lucky finding a 1100 it is just the right size for me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have been off & on but not looking very much. I did come across something that looked similar to you & I believe it was an Ellis but I don't remember the model number or how big it was. I'll keep my eye out for the 1100 so I can see how big it is.

Will

RandyM

Staff member
Will,

The 1100 is the smallest that Ellis makes, they just go up in size from there. This saw uses an 8 foot blade if that helps give you perspective. For me it was just the next logical size step up from my 4x6 Enco. Oh, and if you see one on Craig's List don't hesitate, they go pretty quickly.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Will,

The 1100 is the smallest that Ellis makes, they just go up in size from there. This saw uses an 8 foot blade if that helps give you perspective. For me it was just the next logical size step up from my 4x6 Enco. Oh, and if you see one on Craig's List don't hesitate, they go pretty quickly.
Thanks Randy, good info. I'll keep an eye out, I've seen Ellis pop up before, just never knew anything about them so I thought nothing of them. I know condition is everything but what is a fair price range for an 1100? Around here, people on Craigslist think older machinery is gold & try to sell them for high prices like they were collectable antiques or something. A bit of exaggeration but many people really are nuts.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Darn it Randy! Now you've got me scanning Craig's list and local ads for a small Ellis like this one. Very nice saw.

You're doing a bang up job on the beautification.

-Ron

RandyM

Staff member
I know condition is everything but what is a fair price range for an 1100?
Will, he was asking $1200 and we agreed on $1000. They sell for $2500 new. Yeah, everything is always worth more when you are selling.

Darn it Randy! Now you've got me scanning Craig's list and local ads for a small Ellis like this one. Very nice saw.

You're doing a bang up job on the beautification.

-Ron
Thank you Ron, Nice to know my job here is done. :lmao:

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a shot of some parts straight from the blast cabinet and ready for powder coating. Also, the head frame is all mounted and ready for assembly.

Blasted Parts.JPG Head Assembly - 01.JPG Head Assembly - 02.JPG

stevecmo

Active User
Looking good Randy. I'm thinking you may have been an artist in a previous life!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Will, he was asking $1200 and we agreed on $1000. They sell for $2500 new. Yeah, everything is always worth more when you are selling.
Thanks Randy.

WOW, that looks brand new.....probably better than brand new!

uncle harry

Active User
I had one of these in my shop when I was a 2-man division of a large sign company. I bought it new and can't say enough about how useful these are. The machines we made were fussy for cleanliness so the dry cutting was actually a plus. The only disadvantage, as my memory serves me, was that they were a little hard to visually set up a cut. We managed anyway. Super job on your restoration efforts. I too like to see things neatly restored. I'm in the long term ("spare" time) process of repainting my Harrison M300 long-bed lathe. I guess I gott'a wait for better weather since the egregious increase in cost of propane.

RandyM

Staff member
Looking good Randy. I'm thinking you may have been an artist in a previous life!
Thanks Steve, but if I recall correctly you are a gifted artist yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one of these in my shop when I was a 2-man division of a large sign company. I bought it new and can't say enough about how useful these are. The machines we made were fussy for cleanliness so the dry cutting was actually a plus. The only disadvantage, as my memory serves me, was that they were a little hard to visually set up a cut. We managed anyway. Super job on your restoration efforts. I too like to see things neatly restored. I'm in the long term ("spare" time) process of repainting my Harrison M300 long-bed lathe. I guess I gott'a wait for better weather since the egregious increase in cost of propane.
Thanks for the info Harry. Yeah, that propane shortage and price hikes are not what we needed this winter.

[6]
[5] [7]