• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • NOTICE: There are two new video channel areas set up, one for staff, and one for subscribing members. You need to create a folder. Then add your media to that folder. Once added, you can cut and paste the code at the bottom right to embed the media into a post on the forum.

It works very similarly to YouTube, except videos are stored on our server. Click Here For The Video Channels

[4]

Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Final Assembly Continues

Here are the latest.

Head Assembly - 05.JPG Head Assembly - 06.JPG Head Assembly - 07.JPG Head Assembly - 08.JPG Head Assembly - 09.JPG Head Assembly - 10.JPG Head Assembly - 11.JPG

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Randy, that band saw has got me envious, and thats saying a lot. I typically don't get envious. :LOL: That band saw would be perfect for me. Your restoration is top notch. I'll bet it didn't even look that good when it was brand spankin new.

Marcel

LJP

Active User
Randy,
Really nice job! Impressed with the paint job.
I usually want to get onto the next thing, so the paint never happens for me. Looks great!
Larry

RandyM

Staff member
Wow..........just wow!
Thanks!

Very Nice Randy!!!! Did you get your Logan rebuilt yet?

Dwayne
DWAYNE! You sure have been quiet lately. Hope everything is well and OK in your world? Sorry, the Logan is still awaiting its turn. I am hoping to get to it this summer now but, you know how life has a way of getting IN THE WAY sometimes. What's new with you?

Randy, that band saw has got me envious, and thats saying a lot. I typically don't get envious. :LOL: That band saw would be perfect for me. Your restoration is top notch. I'll bet it didn't even look that good when it was brand spankin new.

Marcel
Thank you Marcel. Not bad for a foam roller then? The major large parts all done with a foam roller for the gray.

Randy,
Really nice job! Impressed with the paint job.
I usually want to get onto the next thing, so the paint never happens for me. Looks great!
Larry
Thank you Larry. The saw is done in a mixture of powder coat and enamel paint with a foam roller. I am the other type, I sweat the details and take my time doing them. I like my stuff to look as good as they work. I am not saying you don't, but it is who I am. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have all kinds of other projects waiting their turn also.

ddushane

Active User
Randy, just been trying to catch up on knife orders, but I did get an ER40 Collet Chuck ordered for my Logan 1920-1, and ordered a set of collets. Looking forward to them coming in. I have the ER collets for my other two lathes and really love'm. You did an outstanding job on the band saw. I love all the pictures. I've got a 6"x18" surface grinder all tore apart waiting patiently for me. But like you said, life has a way of getting us distracted.

Dwayne

RandyM

Staff member
Randy, I did get an ER40 Collet Chuck ordered for my Logan 1920-1, and ordered a set of collets. Looking forward to them coming in. I have the ER collets for my other two lathes and really love'm.

Dwayne
I would like to see how you make this work once you get everthing. Where did you purchase them from?

RandyM

Staff member
Randy, as noted this bandsaw is going to look better than new when you finish it. Heck, it looks better than new now!

Are you using stainless steel bolts for the reassembly?
Thank you JS. You are sharp eye. Actually, yes, I am selectively using them. Mostly for eye candy.

RandyM

Staff member
Getting closer, here is more of my progress.

Blade Guides 1.JPG Blade Guides 2.JPG Powder Coated Parts.JPG

David

Active User
Randy you should send some photos to Ellis, they would also be jealous! Your making them look bad and it's their saw! Very nice work, that saw should do you on out without any problems!!

David

RandyM

Staff member
:thankyou: David, that is very kind of you.

Duey C

Active User
Registered Member
You making that little saw look beautiful and function perfectly is so cool to me at this hour.
I have spent the last three days bent over one of these little honeys making production parts!
It sure does not look as good as your starting point.........
Would you point me in the direction of making the cute little vice work better? Same-same but I need to use an 11R Vice Grip to help it out.
Beautiful project!

RandyM

Staff member
Would you point me in the direction of making the cute little vice work better? Same-same but I need to use an 11R Vice Grip to help it out.
Beautiful project!
Thank you Duey for your kind words. What I did of course was completely dissassemble the entire vice, clean it, make it pretty, re-assemble, and lubed it. I understand you are in no position to do all that. What I would recommend is to make sure it is lubed well. There is an oil hole on top of the main vise housing casting. Then I would unclamp it from the table, turn it over and adjust the thumb screw to see if that will help. Otherwise you just may have used it too much that is well wore out. Hope this helps.

Gary Max

Active User
Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts.------ Why would Ellis do this---- I always thought you added life to the band and got a better cut with lube??
Your work is outstanding---------- Thanks for sharing.

RandyM

Staff member
Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts.------ Why would Ellis do this---- I always thought you added life to the band and got a better cut with lube??
You are correct, Ellis does more than recommend, they insist you do not use coolant on their saws. Someone did use coolant on this saw before I started the re-construction, boy what a mess. Not one ball bearing could be turned by hand, froze up solid and not rust. Here is my personal opinion, I think that for most cutting, lube or coolant is not really needed if you have the correct blade (tpi), speed, and feed. The saw I am replacing is an asian 4 x 6 and I never used lube or coolant. And I cut everything from steel to aluminum, to bar and plate, to pipe and tubing. My blades lasted a long time unless I did something foolish. I really don't think you need coolant as well. My mode of operation is to set the blade speed to medium, use a medium blade (tpi, usually variable pitch), and not over do it on the feed. But again, this is just my opinion.

Your work is outstanding---------- Thanks for sharing.
:thankyou:

Duey C

Active User
Registered Member
Then I would unclamp it from the table, turn it over and adjust the thumb screw to see if that will help. Otherwise you just may have used it too much that is well wore out. Hope this helps.
Aha! An "adjusto" (thumb screw) underneath...... I likeys!
I'm new to that shop but I am also the now resident mechanic/fix-all guy. I think I'll rip it apart in the morning!
Thanks Randy!

RandyM

Staff member
Well, it's as finished as it's gonna be for now. I still have plans for some more mods but, they will have to wait for the time being. The machine is all tuned up and cuts real smooooooooth. Here are the pics.

Complete 1.JPG Complete 2.JPG Complete 3.JPG Complete 4.JPG Complete 5.JPG Complete 6.JPG Complete 7.JPG Complete.JPG

Stonebriar

Active User
That is a great looking saw. Good job. Did you use a paint gun for that gorgeous paint job?

Rick

RandyM

Staff member
That is a great looking saw. Good job. Did you use a paint gun for that gorgeous paint job?

Rick
Hi Rick,

No, the big stuff in the gray was with a foam roller and hardener added to the paint. The rest is all powder coat. Almost forgot, the black is out of a spray can (motor and gearbox) the truniun black is powder coat.

Last edited:

stevecmo

Active User
Randy,

That is one beautiful saw! Your attention to detail is amazing. Great job!!!

Steve

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
I don't know how I missed this one but I am glad I found it. Cool saw and a first class restore. Beautiful work! I have a band saw to restore myself, maybe when the weather warms up a bit.

Dave Smith

Active User
Better than new Randy!!!--good job--I've got about 8 to 10 saws that could need restoring if you have a lot of free time--just kidding-----not about having 10 saws though--reality sets in---Dave

RandyM

Staff member
I don't know how I missed this one but I am glad I found it. Cool saw and a first class restore. Beautiful work! I have a band saw to restore myself, maybe when the weather warms up a bit.
Better than new Randy!!!--good job--I've got about 8 to 10 saws that could need restoring if you have a lot of free time--just kidding-----not about having 10 saws though--reality sets in---Dave
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the acknowledgement. Now get to the shop and start your restorations.

ddushane

Active User
Randy, I got the ER40 Collet Chuck in this weekend, I'll try to get a picture of it and get it posted, I bought it from "http://www.shop.tallgrasstools.com" I'm looking forward to using it,

Dwayne

frostheave

Active User
Heck with a brand new Ellis. I want a Randy! Just absolutely amazing. Thanks for linking to it in today's bandsaw post.

Bob

NightWing

Active User
Years back when I had my manufacturing company, I bought the Ellis 1600. It was an excellent machine. It had a little rotary wire brush that rubbed against the blade at an angle and that helped to keep chips clear of the teeth. Ellis offered a solenoid operated air blast kit in lieu of coolant.

The saw was a workhorse and I think the only part we had to replace was the down feed cylinder. I seem to recall that Ellis recommended 8 lbs of down pressure on the blade.

Another excellent machine of theirs is the belt grinder. It is pricey but what a wonderful machine it was. We used ours almost every day.

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
I never had time to restore my tool to the standard I wished to. It was always
buy something I needed, fix what was needed, Muck it , oil it and use it.
But I was lucky, my work turned out Fine. Of course in the end, I had a
Reputation no money and no shop, and cruddy tools that went to a friend.
You do lovely Work, I offer great admiration ! ........BLJHB.

randyjaco

Active User
I love that Heinrich style vise. Never seen one on a saw. I am a big fan of Ellis products. As usual, great work.

Randy

[6]
[5] [7]