• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Looking to buy a new horizontal bandsaw- advice requested

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

xplodee

Hey all-

I'd like to purchase a new horizontal band saw around the $750 mark. I have done some basic research but there are a lot of models out there and I figured I would ask to see if there are any models or brands that I should focus my research on.

I just want to buy the best quality machine I can buy for that price, I'm not as concerned about capacity. I rarely cut anything over about 2" so a machine that can do 6" or so would be a good margin for safety. I want to buy a new machine and recognize that given my price point that means an import. I'm fine with that. I do NOT want to restore an older machine or buy a used one, I just don't have time to shop around.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
You can get the little red HF 4x6 band saw new for about $200 with a 20% discount coupon. Mine works just fine after a bit of tuning it up, and damned well with a good bi-metal blade added. It says 4x6, but I have cut a 6" round aluminum disc on it, so that is well over your 2", and the saw takes up little space in the shop compared to larger saws. I have been nothing but happy with it, and it has done well with everything I have thrown at it...

xplodee

Bob- Thank you for your reply.

I have one of those HF's at work and I wouldn't mind taking it home but I would rather pay $500-750 for the same kind of thing or marginally larger but with significantly better quality or features such as hydraulic feed etc. I don't have time to mod or tinker with tools and would rather just buy something "better" from the get-go.

I definitely agree that the capacity is perfect for what I need.

Alan H

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Call Matt at Quality Machine Tools. He has a super deal on some 220v machines that I considered recently.

roadie33

Active User
Grizzly has one I have been thinking about buying.
5" x 6" with swivel head. The swivel head looks to be a good selling point at $ 615.00 $ 704 shipped.

ezduzit

Active User
Watch for a deal on a like new/excellent bandsaw.

I bought my $2,000 Vectrax 7 x 12 vertical/horizontal, geared head (no pulleys/belts), metal cutting, mitering bandsaw off eBay, from Industry Recycles, for ~$1,000 (IIRC) in new condition, except it was missing the blade wheels and blade, which I was able to order cheaply from MSC.

Alan H

Looks like the Griz and the Bailey pointed out here are likely the same design and/or machine.

I have not had much luck with lower cost 1/2" bladed machines. My specific experience is with Jet.

I would also add that our luck with quality and customer service at Griz is abysmal.

coffmajt

I have a Grizzly 0561 metal cutting bandsaw that has been in service for the last two years. I had a smaller saw that was difficult to keep blade alignment on as well as no coolant or hydraulic down feed. This saw has been great, it stays aligned and with bi-metal lenox blades cuts alloys with no problems. I must be lucky but I have had good service from Grizzly whenever I called them == Jack

xplodee

You guys are going to laugh but it looks like I'll be taking home the Harbor Freight from work and we're going to buy a Pat Mooney Phoenix. Go big or go home!

Alan H

That is good news. Bird in the hand vs. having to buy one out of the bush!

Silverbullet

I'd look at the bigger saw HF sells. Looks good has everything the higher priced ones it's around $800.00 with coupons can be near $675.00 . But your not looking now.

roadie33

Active User
UPDATE FYI
Grizzly just offered the
G9742 - 5" x 6" Metal-Cutting Bandsaw w/ Swivel Head
now for St Patty's Day for $545

mksj

Active User
Some prior reviews on the G9742, but everything is to a price point so don't expect it to perform like a $2000 machine. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/anyone-else-bought-a-g9742-bandsaw.38810/

One thing to consider is cutting on the bias or cutting flat stock, which would require a bigger machine. I prefer the gearbox as opposed to the belt drives, as they are less bulky and easier to change speeds. But you could get by with a single speed and a good variable pitch blade. Might look at the Baileigh BS-128M through QMT, I prefer the kill/operating switches on the top of the saw, but the Grizzly price at $545 is hard to beat. Hard to tell, but price difference is close. Capacity Rectangular 90, 45 5" x 6, 3" x 3.7"

[6]
[5] [7]