1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

My first mill- and I can't help BUT laugh!

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by westerner, Aug 23, 2017.

1. westerner

westerner United States If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH! Registered Member

City:
    Parks
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I guess I am gonna have to change my sig line:). Last weekend I picked up a Millrite MVN from 1973. R8 spindle (whew). Spent it's whole life in a high school metals class. Ways are in great shape. Table has some nicks, but nothing scary. The price, considering the machinery desert I live in, was very good. I beat several guys to the punch, the seller tells me, when HE delivered the machine. The only downsides are- no tooling, and 3 phase motor. You guys have been instrumental in educating me about machines, processes and tooling. Can't thank you enough. Can't wait to get some chips flying. Pics coming soon.

brino, FOMOGO, Ulma Doctor and 2 others like this.
  2. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Congratulations. I am now on my second Millrite and think they are great!

Three phase will be an advantage, variable speed control and a smoother running motor. Just get a VFD and hook it up. It is not too difficult and we can help you if you need it. As far as tooling only buy what you really need to get started, and then look for deals on used tooling at great prices. They are out there, just need to be patient and quick on the draw at the same time. Don't be a sucker, and don't dally when the right deal comes along, pounce on it! Craigslist is your friend...

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  3. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl Active Member Active Member

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I had a millrite for many years, and loved it sold it for 3 x what I paid 15 years earlier, I just put a DRO on it and what an improvement it made for making things easier to do. Sold it for a $500 Bridgeport that I am very happy with now that I added a DRO and power x. enjoy that mill it is a great one.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  4. Orangecrush

Orangecrush United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I'm looking at a Millrite milling machine some guy is selling. He says that he doesn't know much about it and has never used it. He is asking $1500 OBO and it does come with some tooling IE a vise and some other stuff. From looking at the pictures it looks to be in pretty good condition. Thinking about giving him a offer of $750 and see if he will sell for that much. Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, he says he needs it gone ASAP because it's taking up space in his garage.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  5. tq60

tq60 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    madera
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Take a wad of cash and have your transportation ready.

Offer cash and be gone fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

gregc, Z2V, Ulma Doctor and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jonathans

Jonathans United States Professional Fish Killer H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

3 phase motor is great. As mentioned, power it with 220 through a vfd. Place the belt on the middle pulley and you have a variable speed mill. Ran mine like this and it was great until I needed something larger (always seems to happen!)
    Orange Crush, if that mill is in fact in good shape grab it for the asking price, if its still available.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  7. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl Active Member Active Member

City:
    Agua Dulce
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

ys
    I sold mine in 3 days and the guy came from about 200 miles with a trailer for $1400 that is in So. California. There is a big demand for something a bit smaller then a bridgeport. I had just installed a DRO system with accuremote I think the name was, finally after having the mill for maybe 10 years.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  8. Bob Korves

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

When I sold my first tired Millrite, I had many calls including some from several hundred miles away, offering more, sight unseen, than the "$1000 firm" I was asking for it if I would hold it until they got here. The first guy who showed up, with the ad only about 3 hours old on Craigslist, was heavily trying to talk me down while I answered call after call from prospective buyers. I told him that the price was going up to $1300 in five minutes and he started counting out the $1K. ;) I probably had 15 calls in the four hours the mill was on CL. Millrite mills are good and desirable equipment, no frills, solid machines.

4gsr, Z2V, wildo and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

well do you have any pictures yet???

GA Gyro and Bob Korves like this.
  10. Orangecrush

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Fortunately for me the guy who listed it doesn't have it in the right place for people to see. Here is a picture from the listing.

Attached Files:

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  11. Orangecrush

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

12. Z2V

Z2V United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

So, when are you going to bring it home so you can post your own pics? We want to see it in your shop/ garage.
    If you found it on CL I'm sure others have too

13. Bob Korves

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Yeah, no pics, it never happened... ;)

14. Orangecrush

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I agree guys, no pics of it in my shop then it didn't happen.

Which for right now is the case. I just don't have the money for something like this right now. I already have my Grizzly G0704, my Atlas horizontal mill, and my Atlas Craftsman 12" Lathe in my shop. I have been busy making parts on the Grizzly, and cleaning up the lathe. The Atlas horizontal mill is done, rebuilt and waiting for me to buy a vise so I can see it cut some metal. Even if I did I would still have the problem of getting it on my trailer and back to the shop unloading it and setting it up. Plus after thinking about it for a while, I don't have 220v in my shop. So I would have to buy a VFD or whatever you call them to run it.

Trust me, I really wanted to buy it. I talked to the guy selling it, and he said that it was made in 1980. That he didn't know much about machining, but did say that the XY and Z axis had practically no backlash on the handles. Said the ways were in good condition and that the motor made on funny noises.

The guy still has it for sale though, reason why is that he doesn't have it listed correctly on Craigslist. So if you know anyone that might be interested in this mill and lives in the DFW area of Texas. Let me know and I will give the person the link to where it's at.

gregc likes this.
  15. westerner

westerner United States If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH! Registered Member

City:
    Parks
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

No pics yet. Machine is still OUTSIDE the shop, :(, but well covered. Waiting for my formerly talented carpenter self to finish the build on the shelving required to create the space needed. "SPACE- the final frontier!" LOL. Rest assured, I want it in, cleaned and spinning ASAP:big grin:. I felt the season FALL fall here yesterday, and the mill sitting outside spoke to me clearly, and it's tone was urgent:eek:

16. dlane

dlane Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oroville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Yup it wants in

17. Z2V

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Just think of all the tools we could have if we had the SPACE!!

18. Orangecrush

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

What exactly are we talking about now? Something to do with having enough space in our shops for machines and tooling?

19. Z2V

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Yep, See post 15 by the OP

20. Orangecrush

City:
    Haslet
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Oh, I get it now. Westerner finally got his Millrite milling machine home. But has no place to put it in his shop. Well good for you Westerner, just keep it oiled and covered so you don't have to worry about rust.

Can't wait until you post some pictures of your new machine!!!